Urban - NOMINEE: Sophia Michaelides
Photo © Sophia Michaelides
Support this photographer - share this work on Facebook.
Part of the series ‘Cannot be unlived’.
This work is a result of my innate need to observe constructed environments and realities, due to my professional experience in interior architecture. This causes me to look beyond the façade, beyond the external parameters set by cement, glass and iron. New façades, new shapes and structures can be formed and reinvent the existing. Each finite detail of the edifice causes me to cognitively create a new construction, which might not even materialize. Digital Photography, 2017-2018.
I was born in 1981 in Limassol, Cyprus. At a very young age I remember waking up on Sunday mornings with the sound of classical music in house. As a result I asked for classical ballet lessons, which I pursued until I was a young adult.
My fascination with photography began also as a child when my family gathered to look at the slides of my father's college years in England. He was still using his Olympus camera (now 50 years old) taking photos of the family but I was not allowed to touch it. Thus I asked for a camera as a birthday gift at the age of 12. Final I got my hands on the Olympus during my college years and my interest in photography became a passion.
BA Hons in Interior Design
Co-founder and co-owner of architectural office SinSquare / February 2016.
Co-founder and co-owner of MEND Alternative Art Curators / May 2016.
Art Exhibitions/ Performances:
- Solo Photography exhibition 'Details' / 2002
- Solo Photography exhibition 'What the..... spots and liquids' / 2005
- Performance 'Ricochet' Dance Company / 2000. Performer, after pan-Cypriot open auditions.
- 2nd Platform of Contemporary Dance with 'Omada 5 Dance company' / 2001. Performer.
- Performance 'Omada 5 Dance company' / 2001. Performer.
- 3rd Platform of Contemporary Dance with 'Omada 5 dance company' / 2002. Performer.
- Group exhibition ‘Cheap art’ / 2014. Participation with art works.
- Group exhibition ‘Limassol Art Festival / 2016. Participation with photographs.
Experience Qualifications | Interior Architecture:
- THESIS Co / September 2003-March 2005. Sales associate, Interior designer, Window display designer, Showroom layout designer, Advertisement Layout design.
- Freelance / Residential House Omonia / 2004. Involved in construction changes, Choice of house finishes, Design of kitchen, Choice of furniture.
- Freelance / Residential House Ypsoupoli / 2005. Choice of house finishes, Design of common area furniture.
- Elphidoforou Interiors / April 2005-February 2006. Preparation of drawings and detail drawings for interior and exterior spaces (i.e. shops, restaurants, houses).
- Freelance / Optical house Limassol / 2006. Renovation and design of new layout of the optical house.
- Freelance / Prestige Club / 2006. Main interior designer/ Supervision of construction for complete renovation.
- Freelance / Bizart Galleries, Art Retail Space / 2007-2010. Window display designer, Showroom layout designer.
- Freelance / Residential House Pareklisia / 2010. Alterations on the original house design. Design of kitchen, bedroom cupboards, vanity units and other house fittings.
- Economides Assocciates / March 2006-June 2015. Preparation of architectural drawings for the Planning department (i.e. houses, apartment buildings, integrated developments, public spaces), Preparation of detail drawings for interior spaces (i.e. shops, houses, apartments, public spaces, business spaces), Preparation of detail drawings for custom-made constructions (i.e. furniture, pergolas), On Site Supervision/Project Follow up, Office management, Training of new staff.
- Freelance / Residential Apartment Athens / April 2015. Renovation and design of new layout of the apartment.
- Freelance / Residential House Limassol / March 2016. Renovation and alterations at existing house on 1rst floor. Production of designs for new house on 2nd floor.
Experience Qualifications | Graphic works:
- El Duende School of dance / May 2012. Design of posters, flyers, tickets and program of the school's performance 'Mood for dance'.
- El Duende School of dance / June 2013. Design of posters, flyers, tickets and program of the school's performance 'Charlie and the chocolate factory’.
- Art Exhibition ‘Origin Unknown’ by Soteris Phoraris / November 2013. Design of posters and invitations.
- Flamenco seminar by Norberto Chamizo Garrido / September 2016. Design of posters of the pan-Cyprian seminar.
- El Duende School of dance / November 2016. Design of posters, flyers, tickets and program and booking coordination of a flamenco performance composed with world class dancers and musicians from Spain.